Saturday, September 4, 2010

Supplements for Depression



I thought it would be helpful for my readers who suffer with depression or have a loved one who does, to share with you what supplements help me with me with my S.A.D. I have to start by saying that if you have a serious condition, these recommendations are not in any way meant to replace the advice of a doctor, and you should seek out the help of a medical professional. I am not a doctor and the following advice is just from my personal experience and opinion. There are many supplements out there that you can try, and I would encourage you to experiment with what will work best for your individual body & mind. Here is what has worked for me:

5-HTP: I take this at night before bed. It helps with the production of serotonin and melatonin. I started taking this supplement a couple of years ago. I cycle this supplement. I don't take it for longer than 6 weeks and then I take a month off. You shouldn't take this while pregnant or nursing or if you are already on anti-depression medication. Brand I recommend: Natrol. Cost: $9.99 at Wal-Mart.

A brief explanation:
5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), also known as oxitriptan (INN), is a naturally-occurring amino acid and chemicalprecursor as well as metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin fromtryptophan.

5-HTP is sold over-the-counter in the United Kingdom, United States and Canada as a dietary supplement for use as an antidepressant, appetite suppressant, and sleep aid, and is also marketed in many European countries for the indication of major depression under trade names like Cincofarm, Levothym, Levotonine, Oxyfan, Telesol, Tript-OH, and Triptum.[1][2] Several double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trials have demonstrated the effectiveness of 5-HTP in the treatment of depression,[1] though a lack of high quality studies has been noted.[3]

Vitamin D: I take this morning and night. People with S.A.D. should supplement with this. Make sure that you are also getting enough magnesium and zinc as these are needed to to utilize Vitamin D properly. Here's a little more about Vitamin D and depression at this link. I don't have a particular brand I recommend. I just go for the cheapest.
Wheat Germ: I have a scoop with yogurt for an afternoon snack. Wheat germ is high in Zinc, Vitamin E and Magnesium to name a few. Make sure you store it in the refrigerator to extend the shelf life. Health nuts have been taking this for years for good reason. I get raw wheat germ from Good Earth and keep it in a sealed container in my fridge. It's much cheaper bought from the bins in the health foods store than in the sealed jars.
Here's one example of it's benefits:

Some reports indicate that the mineral selenium, found in wheat germ, brewer's yeast, liver, fish, shellfish, garlic, sunflower seeds, Brazil nuts, and grains, significantly affects mood. In one study of people with low levels of selenium, those who consumed a diet high in selenium reported decreased feelings of depression after 5 weeks.

Bee pollen: This also goes in my afternoon yogurt or morning smoothie. Bee pollen is rich in B Vitamins. B Vitamin deficiencies are linked to decreased energy, irritability and depression. I also buy this at Good Earth in the refrigerator section next to the fish oil I buy. It's expensive, but worth it. I believe a bag costs $16 or so. I bought mine 6 months ago and am still working on it.
Here's a little more info:

What’s in Bee Pollen?
Bee pollen contains an incredible array of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, enzymes, co-enzymes, and hormones. It is especially rich in B vitamins and antioxidants, including lycopene, selenium, beta carotene, vitamin C, vitamin E, and several flavanoids. It is composed of 55% carbohydrates, 35% protein, 3% vitamins and minerals, 2% fatty acids, and 5% other substances. Overall, it's one of the most nutritionally complete natural substances found on earth.

Fish oil: I have already written a blog about this one. You can read it here. If you take nothing else, take this!

I know there are other vitamins and minerals and supplements that are available to help with depression. For example there is, St. John's Wart, SAMe and inositol. My experiences with inositol aren't that great (it gives me stomach trouble) but I have heard it is especially helpful for depression and anxiety. The most important thing to consider is this: you are a unique individual. There is no one else like you. Therefore what works for me or for someone else may not work for you. I have found that prayerful consideration is key. In every instance, I was guided first by the spirit to certain supplements and vitamins and then found out later why it is so helpful and beneficial. Our Father in Heaven created you. Ask Him what your body needs and He will surely tell you. These supplements might just be something that could help you, I know they helped me.

Depression and anxiety are serious problems that should be discussed with a doctor if they are interfering with your everyday life. All supplements should be discussed with your healthcare provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment